Both peoples choice will be from 2-3 pm
First 10 Teams (3 members) Guaranteed Entry – Maximum 15 Team Limit based on available space after 10 teams. You will need a team name as well.
*Your entry priority is based on coming to City Hall and filling out the Team Log*
Teams accepted from Alleghany, Bath, & Greenbrier County
$20 per team entry fee – Entry Deadline June 21, 2019
Each team will compete in a judged competition & people’s choice
Backyard cooking devices can be used – maximum retail value allowed $1000 including gas grills, plain charcoal/wood grills, Eggs-up to large size, retail grill/smoker combo’s just so not over $1000 in retail value. Up to 3 cook devices allowed.
15 x 15 cooking space (tent allowed)
Each team is required to have a cooler with ice for food storage
Each team is required to meet the following health & safety regulations:
Team members may not handle food with their bare hands. They may:
- Wear disposable gloves (provided).
- Use tongs, spoons, deli tissue or other utensils.
Team members must wash their hands:
- Before handling food.
- Prior to putting on disposable gloves.
- After using the toilet, smoking, eating, drinking or after their hands may have become contaminated.
Three-basin dishwashing station (i.e. sinks, dishpans, 5-gallon buckets) must be provided, supplied and maintained. You must have a means of washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all food equipment and utensils. You must use a chemical sanitizer, such as non-scented chlorine bleach, in the sanitizer solution.
Each team must maintain on site and return a provided (no charge) fire extinguisher.
For information, please contact David Bryant (bb) at City Hall, via email at email@example.com, or 540-968-3561.
Here’s how it’s going to work:
1. You can arrive any time after 12:00 (noon) on Friday for setup
2. You will be provided with one pork butt & rack of ribs to prepare 3 plates to be judged along with a side that must be prepared on site.
3. You will be provided 100 small (2oz.) serving cups to use for the Backyard People’s Choice for your remaining meat
4. The public will be given a voting card for a donation and then be able to visit each team, sample your pork and then cast one vote for their favorite team.
5. Your samples will need to be available to the public at 11:00 on Saturday.
6. Your judged plate will need to be turned in at a time disclosed at team meeting Friday Night at 8:00 PM on the City Hall steps.
7. Each team must provide their own spices, rubs, marinades, sauces for their food as well as provide their own ingredients for the side of their choice. Three Styrofoam containers will be provided (Friday Night) to each team for their plate to be turned in to be judged.
8. Proceeds from the entry fees will go to prizes and meat – If at least 10 teams enter, $100 will go to 1st Place & $25 to 2nd Place in the judged 2 meat & side portion of the contest. Olde Town will write a check of $50 for the People’s Choice to the charity or non-profit of winners choice.
9. Each entered team will have the opportunity to provide a BBQ sauce prepared on site to be judged Saturday afternoon as well.
10. One team member must be with a cook device at all times once cooking begins.
Contact Information: David Bryant, Contest Organizer • 337 W. Locust Street • Covington, Virginia 24426
540-968-3561 • firstname.lastname@example.org