Covington Cork & Pork Festival • June 2nd-3rd, 2023 • KCBS BBQ Championship Competition
Covington Cork & Pork Festival
June 2nd-3rd, 2023
KCBS BBQ Championship Competition
Welcome to the 10th Annual Covington Cork and Pork Festival to be held in beautiful downtown Covington, Virginia on Friday and Saturday, June 2-3, 2023. All events are open to the public. We welcome everyone including contestants, visitors, guests, and supporters.
Proceeds from this event will benefit the work of Olde Town Covington and be reinvested back into the community for ongoing non-profit initiatives.
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS & RULES
The official KCBS rules are available at www.kcbs.us
TEAM BASIC INFO
- Teams shall consist of 1 head cook and other team members
- There shall not be multiple entries per team. A team may cook several pieces of meat per category, but may only turn in one entry per category. The turn in quantities will be a minimum of 6 portions as stated in the KCBS rules.
EQUIPMENT & COOKING AREA BASIC INFO
- There shall be only one team per BBQ pit or grill. No two teams share a grill or pit.
- Open fires are not permitted on the ground. Coals that will be needed for starting their pits must be generated from a closed container. A fire extinguisher must be readily available.
- No two-story structures will be allowed.
- No expansion of a team’s allotted area will be allowed beyond their assigned area.
- All belongings must be entirely contained within the 20’ x 30’ or 20’ x 50’ area. We ask everyone to respect the property and be careful not to damage any landscaping and/or property.
- Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the judging committee.
- Each team must supply their own ingredients, grill/pit, tools, and materials needed by the team.
- If power is required beyond the provided power, you will need to pay for the additional supply or bring your own generator. Teams are asked to only use the generator when needed for electricity and be considerate of your neighbors when using a portable generator. Generators should not be used during the quiet time of 11:00 pm – 6:00 am.
- Receptacles for ashes will be available for dumping hot ashes throughout the contest.
- We will have trashcans throughout the contest area for your use.
- Restrooms will be available for your use.
- Teams will be provided one water connection but please note that hoses and connectors may need to be run.
- Gray water may only be disposed in approved marked containers.
- Cooks are to prepare and cook in as sanitary a manner as possible.
- BBQ for the contest may be prepared using wood or charcoal smokers, and the team may prepare and cook the meat in any fashion they prefer, according to KCBS rules.
- The teams must prepare the BBQ on-site at the contest.
- There will be a meat inspection to make sure no meat is marinated or seasoned prior to the event.
- Ice will be provided for each team.
- All meats cooked at the Covington Cork and Pork Festival must be USDA-approved meat or have been purchased from a USDA-inspected facility.
- Meat inspections will not occur before Friday at 12:00 PM
- Under no circumstances are alcoholic beverages to be distributed to the public by the teams.
- All teams must be discreet with all alcoholic beverages on the premises and are requested to respect the rights of others with special emphasis against loud music, profane language, and infringement on adjoining sites.
- Teams must conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- No pets are allowed.
Each team must register at the Registration/Information area (City Hall 333 W. Locust Street) upon arrival Thursday evening or Friday morning. Teams are allowed to arrive after 5:00 pm on Thursday, June 1st. The contestant’s number and cooking area assignment will be issued then. Teams with large trailers and/or rigs will be assigned in an area in which it can be accommodated. Information on the activities such as ancillaries will be available at a later date.
There will be a cook’s meeting on Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm. The location will be confirmed at the time of check-in.
JUDGING & AWARDS
- Judging of the Covington Cork and Pork Festival on Saturday, June 3, 2023 will be conducted by KCBS rules.
- The official KCBS rules are available at kcbs.us
- Judging rules will be explained further at the cook’s meeting Friday afternoon.
- Awards will be announced on Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 4:30 pm.
AWARDS & PRIZE MONEY
Total Prize Money – To be determined but will not be less than $10,000 total payout.
CLEAN UP & EXITING
- All teams are required to clean up their assigned cooking areas and return the site to pre-contest condition.
- There will be separate containers for trash, ashes, grease, and gray water. They will be clearly marked.
The Covington Cork and Pork Festival reserves the right to reject any application.
- If your application is not accepted, your money will be returned.
- No refunds will be made after you have been accepted into the contest.
- All photos taken of your team becomes the property of the Covington Cork and Pork Festival and may be used for promotional purposes without your prior consent.
Still Workin’ On It
Fred Vegas Smokers
JD’s Smokin Misfits
Checkered Flag 500 BBQ
Big Dog BBQ VA
Muttley Crew BBQ
Hickory Bent and Rail Bound
Big Papa Que
Kickin’ Ash BBQ
Bowman’s Butt & BBQ
Good Googly Goo BBQ
Who Cares BBQ
Uncle Pig’s BBQ
Moonshine Mike’s BBQ
Off The Rack BBQ
Smoking Aces BBQ NC
2023 Covington Cork and Pork Team Application